Thursday, March 24, 2022

2022 Post #10 -- A Ghazal For Our Times

by Carol Jago

Traditional forms may at first glance seem like a straight jacket for poetic expression. They can also be useful structures that living writers employ to explore contemporary issues. In her poem “You’re at home, speak English, Mexican,” nineteen-year-old Juliana Sosa uses the ancient Arab form of a ghazal to reflect upon the various — and sometimes contradictory — spaces she navigates in her daily life.


"You’re at home, speak English, Mexican"
by Juliana Sosa


You’re at home, speak English, Mexican

But I have more than one home where I don’t speak English, Mexican


My light skin doesn’t show them I’m Mexican

Sosa tongue got them running in circles, Mexican


I won’t be thrown over the border type, Mexican

But my daddy might, Mexican


I won’t be chained in cages, Mexican

But my baby cousins might, Mexican


The 1st generation type, Mexican

I gotta make my dad’s wet back dry with a diploma, Mexican


You go to a fancy public school, Mexican

The I got white privilege, Mexican


Does the Spanish that leaps from my tongue have privilege? Mexican

It doesn’t write the air in cursive but spits dirt on my father’s boots, Mexican


I translated my father’s stereotype turned addiction, Mexican

Beer bottles wishing they stayed in Mexico, Mexican


We only go to Church on Christmas type Mexican

Beat our hands on our chest to scare the sin away, Mexican


I practically raised my baby cousins on my hip, Mexican

Do these hips scream Mexican?


Or do the stretch marks on them show how fast I had to grow, Mexican

To translate from teachers’ offices to courthouses at the age of 6, Mexican


I got the what to do if your Tia gets pulled over talk, Mexican

To convince officers that green cards turned brown are still valid, Mexican


We come in different shades of pride and regret, Mexican

But I came to fulfill a dream that my father regrets, Mexican

Source: Google Books


A Ghazal is a form of ode originating in Arabic poetry. It often explores both the pain of loss or separation and the beauty of love alongside that pain. A ghazal is comprised of a series (at least 5) of couplets, each of which could stand alone as its own poem.

About the poet:

Juliana Sosa wrote this poem when she was a senior at Oak Park River Forest High School (class of 2021) where she was a member of the school’s Spoken Word club. The poem appears in the collection Respect the Mic. Juliana was a Gold Key recipient in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.

Discussion Questions

How does the poet help a reader visualize her experiences? Can you offer an example?
What does the poem’s form, a ghazal, contribute to its effect?
What role does repetition play in the poem?
Why do you think Juliana Sosa wrote this poem?

Suggestions for Writing

Write about a time when you made your parent(s) proud.
What family expectations did you face growing up?
Write about a time you were stereotyped or one when you proved a stereotype wrong.
Write a ghazal that explores your identity.

For more information about Oak Park River Forest High School’s Spoken Word Club https://spokenword.oprfhs.org/about

Further Reading:




Carol Jago has taught middle and high school in Santa Monica, CA for many years and served as president of the National Council of Teachers of English. Her latest publication, The Book in Question: Why and How Reading Is in Crisis is now available from Heinemann (2019). https://www.heinemann.com/products/e09868.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment